The other night I pulled an all-nighter to work to on some school work. I was in the campus computer lab til about 5:30am and then took the DC Metro home to my apartment off campus. As I was walking home, I saw the Starbucks and Einstein Bagels shops open for business. The buses were running and people were on their way to work. Some unfortunate people were just coming home from working the overnight shifts at their jobs. I saw a lot of people wearing security guard uniforms. It must suck working the graveyard shift...
On my 25 minute commute home, I was thinking about all of these people who were on their way to work and the people who were already at work. What a hell of a responsibility these people have. The probably have to wake up around 4 or 4:30 in the morning in order to make it to their jobs. From bus drivers and train operators, to the people that make our Coffee and bake our bagels that we pick up on our way to our jobs, we owe a bit of gratitude.
Now I work at my campus Student Center, and one shift a week requires me to be on site by 6:30 to open the building. So I see these people once a week, who help the rest of us (who wake up at normal hours like 7:00 and 8:00) start our days. They help us get our days going. They help us get to work. They help us get our caffine fix or that quick bite of a bagel in the morning. Not to mention, don't forget the people at the news stations who are up early to tell us what the big stories of the day are, what happened over night while we were sleeping, and what the weather will be like that day.
So the next time you go get your morning coffee or get on the bus, take second a give that person a smile, say hello or good morning, and appreciate the fact that they were up hours before you so that they can help the rest of us have a productive day.
And to the people who have to be at their jobs early and wake up at O'dark thirty, Cheers to you! We all probably hate the fact we have to ride the stinkin bus in the morning or have to shell out $1.50 or $2 for our coffee every day. But you drive that stinkin bus and you make that expensive coffee and you help us start our days on the right foot. Without you, we wouldn't get to work on time and we would fall asleep at our desks by 10:30. Thanks for all you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment